This Woman Drank Her Favorite Beverage and Swallowed a Disgusting Mold that Put Her Health at Risk

This Woman Drank Her Favorite Beverage and Swallowed a Disgusting Mold that Put Her Health at Risk

  • Barbara Kline is quitting her addiction with Vita Coco after the incident that made her sick.
  • She found an octopus-like mold inside her coconut water.

Consumers support the various drinks commonly sold at the supermarket, especially when it is healthy and delicious at the same time since it can make them safely say that it is value-for-money.

Some of these beverages are milk, energy drinks and even preserved coconut water. Due to the fact that it is more flavorful, consumers can purchase a lot and stock it on their fridge so they won’t run out of it.

However, consumers suddenly began thinking twice before purchasing a preserved beverage after Barbara Kline shared her horrendous experience online.

Photo: BuzzFeed

According to Kline’s story, she was an enthusiast of Vita Coco’s coconut water before, but not anymore for the reason that she became really ill after spotting a squid-looking object in her drink.

Photo: BuzzFeed

When I took a big gulp, I swallowed a chunk of something,” she said. “It tasted very thick and syrupy. It was disgusting.”

Photo: BuzzFeed

Kline checked the drink she bought if she had picked the other coconut water with flavor, but surprised to see that it was the unflavored one. She then disposed the liquid content of the box and saw that it had an unusual color.

After I opened it up, I heard things jiggling inside,” she said. “And I thought, ‘That doesn’t sound right.’ I took a knife and opened it up and that’s when I discovered those octopus-looking things.

Photo: BuzzFeed

Kline immediately vomited after seeing what the thing was.

According to Arthur Gallego, Vita Coco’s global director of corporate communications: “Vita Coco is a preservative-free beverage made from naturally-occurring ingredients. While the consumer has yet to return the product for testing, this looks like typical food spoilage. This consumer’s product was likely left opened, improperly refrigerated, or damaged, and after reviewing the images she has posted, we are confident it is mold growth.”

Photo: BuzzFeed

She also said that she bought the coconut water at the local grocery store in about less than a week earlier and made sure she followed the guidelines for refrigeration – which is to consume within 24-48 hours after opening. Moreover, she confirmed that it was not yet opened as she heard the popping sound which is normally heard after opening a sealed bottle.

Kline also mentioned that she experienced vomiting, diarrhea and asthma attack after consuming a few gulps of the water. She went to her doctor for a checkup and came back with negative test results.

Photo: BuzzFeed

The company asked her to turn over the mold for testing, but refused to do so, and asked the FDA instead. However, the FDA said they only collect those which are unopened and intact.

Why would I have them pick it up, when they’re going to sit there and say, ‘Oh, it’s nothing!’” she said. “I’m not stupid. I’m not going to hand over the only evidence I have.”

Because of the company’s lack of proper action, Kline is planning to sue them. “Money is nothing to me right now. My health is more important to me,” she said. “I’m in it for clarification and to know if I just inhaled or drank something that’s deadly. All I want is an answer. I want clarification that I’m OK.”

Apparently, this was not an isolated case as similar incidents began happening way back 2011.

Because of the occurrence, consumers are warned to be more meticulous when purchasing any food product no matter what store it may be. A mold like what was found in Kline’s drink would be dangerous if swallowed, especially by children.

How do you choose what beverage to buy? Do you have any criteria?

About author

Reese Barcelon
Reese Barcelon 160 posts

Reese was an online novelist way back 2011. She began her voyage with a pen and paper in hand, which advanced into a laptop after some time. Living in a fictional world with the books she read and dramas she watched gave her solace and became her happy pill.

Loading...

Comments